Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thing 2

It's true, as Stephen Abram said, that I can find the time to do whatever it is I really want to do. But there are so many things that I want and need to get done that it is really a moot point. I'm doing the 23 Things because I do care about the future of libraries and I know that we are in the front of the line, especially in a small community, of new ways of doing things. That would come as a surprise to many, I think, who were of the opinion that when the internet came, libraries would be extinct. I'm almost at retirement age, and I'm happy to see that the future librarians are looking at libraries in a new way, and are excited about melding libraries and technology to give our communities a new way of learning and connecting with books. I've always enjoyed learning the new wave of information, so I couldn't resist the 23 Things. I like the Wikipedia entry about Library 2.0: Beta is forever. That's what it seems to be--life right now is always in the Beta test and the end changes before we get there, so we don't really know how this will all come out, but we're having fun trying all of the new stuff.

No comments: